1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Had my graduation ceremony from Oxford University. Quit a job. Started living with just my girlfriend. Had my bike stolen. Didn't go to my parents for Christmas.
2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. Several people are due to in 2014, though!
3. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More stability and concrete plans for the future.
4. What events from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
All the landlord crap. The near-disaster that was the move into Grace Adieu. Asking E whether we were in a relationship (consensus: yes). Some stunning examples of internet drama.
5. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I learned to knit and submitted my teaching application. I got two articles published in an international pharma journal, and wrote a 32k story.
6. What was your biggest failure?
Haven't yet been able to secure employment.
7. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Two minor chest infections. Much depression. (Very sads.)
8. What was the best thing you bought?
Bluetooth headphones. I can play music from my phone in my bag without wires! It has transformed my biking.
9. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Eleanor, Esvan, my Awesome Manager. Online friends, esp. on gtalk. E's parents, especially her dad for getting the moving company to actually move our belongings!
10. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The person who thinks the appropriate response to disclosing rape is to become furious at you for spoiling her fun. The CEO at my ex-job. StupidJames. The Dai Li landlords at Ba Sing Se.
11. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Food. Yarn. Books.
12. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing Chris Hadfield! Also many books and TV shows.
13. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
MUCH happier. I left my toxic job; I left my toxic landlords. Living at Grace Adieu is wonderful.
b) thinner or fatter?
Don't know, don't care.
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer. *avoids looking at bank balance*
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing, but I ALWAYS feel this. Job applications.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
16. How did you spend Christmas?
Up North with E's extended family (parents, foster-sister, grandparents, uncle). It was lovely, and probably the best Christmas I can remember.
17. Did you fall in love in 2013?
18. Thing you did most often?
Breathe. Sleep. Write fanfiction. Argue with people on the internet.
19. What was your favourite TV program?
White Collar and Warehouse 13.
20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
See the answers to 10.
21. What was the best book you read?
The October Daye books are my favourite new discovery — I am SO fannish about them!
22. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Seanan McGuire's songs. They are the fairytale lyrics I have always been pining for.
23. What did you want and get?
Eleanor! A place to live where I feel safe. New friends.
24. What did you want and not get?
25. What did you do on your birthday, and was it a major milestone?
I actually can't remember what I did. I turned 23.
26. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Dealing with fewer stupid people.
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Long skirts, waistcoats, and good hats.
28. What kept you sane?
Medication and lots of hugs real and virtual.
29. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Kate Mulgrew. Jennifer Lawrence.
30. What political issue stirred you the most?
Welfare and NHS cuts. Fuck the ConDems, seriously.
31. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Lots of people are awful and there is literally nothing you can do about it, however good your arguments are. But you can cut free, even when it's hard and scary.
32. Favourite film of the year?
Pacific Rim and Catching Fire.
33. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Come on and pay the piper, say you'll leave their wars unwon —
It's only words on paper, and your story is not done.
Posted at http://frith-in-thorns.dreamwidth.org/112621.html with comments.